Outreach Coordinator (Americas)
Full-Time | Remote
Local Contexts (localcontexts.org) is seeking an Outreach Coordinator (Americas) to support our multifaceted outreach efforts.
Local Contexts offers digital strategies for Indigenous communities, cultural institutions, and researchers. The Local Contexts Traditional Knowledge (TK) and Biocultural (BC) Labels and Notices are an extra-legal provenance, protocol, and permission mechanism establishing equity by embedding Indigenous rights and interests within digital infrastructures. TK and BC Labels and Notices have been embedded within key digital infrastructures nationally and around the world.
The Outreach Coordinator will be part of our Outreach team and focused on cultivating and sustaining our network of Indigenous communities, institutions, and researchers, with an aim to engage with and promote Indigenous data sovereignty through the adoption of TK and BC Labels and Notices.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Responsibly and ethically engage and nurture relationships with Indigenous Peoples and Tribal authorities;
- Support institutional staff in their engagement with Local Contexts and the Local Contexts Hub;
- Coordinate with researchers in their engagement with Local Contexts and the Local Contexts Hub;
- Collaborate with the Local Contexts team to identify and address needs for the Local Contexts community and Hub website;
- Collaborate with the Local Contexts team to organize and facilitate meetings, trainings, and presentations;
- Organize and maintain information about contacts, partners, and projects, and facilitate information sharing about subscriptions; and
- Review and collaborate with the Local Contexts team to develop content for digital media, education, and training.
The candidate will have demonstrated collaboration and communication skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Experience working with or for Indigenous Peoples and/or in Indigenous communities or organizations;
- Familiarity with Indigenous collections, Indigenous data sovereignty, and/or Local Contexts;
- Experience working creatively, cooperatively, and effectively both as a team member and independently;
- Experience with Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Experience with task management software (e.g., ClickUp, Notion) and Slack;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, prioritization, and planning skills;
- Commitment to listen, learn, ask questions, and constructively and collaboratively discuss feedback and develop ideas; and
- Willingness to be flexible and work in a fully distributed, international environment.
We are seeking candidates based in North America for this remote position. We encourage applicants from Indigenous Peoples.
About Local Contexts
Local Contexts was founded in 2010 to bring forth the voices, authority, and sovereignty of Indigenous communities in sharing and managing their intellectual and cultural property in cultural heritage, biological, and genetic resources. Local Contexts’ vision is a digital environment in which Indigenous communities exercise authority and sovereign rights over their intellectual property, cultural and other heritage, genetic resources, and knowledge.
Local Contexts is a non-profit organization registered in the Navajo Nation. Our work is open, transparent, and non-proprietary and we are committed to making decisions collaboratively, involving our staff, Council, those who support our mission, and the Indigenous communities who are the center of this work.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Remote with less than 10% travel
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement plan
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter with the subject line “Outreach Coordinator Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org.